May 21, 2013 by kristydefehr
Our hometowns house some of our most precious memories and most treasured places. For me, it’s the swing set at my old school, where I use to imagine if I could swing high enough I could let my problems fall behind me. Or the rocky beaches walking distance from my parents house – where id spend entire afternoons listening to the ocean and reading every Nancy Drew book I could get my hands on. It’s the backyard playhouse my dad built for us, and the kitchen island where mom taught me to bake. It’s campgrounds and boardwalks, hidden trails, high school beach parties and bonfires. Mall hang outs and Timmy’s coffee.
I went for a walk at the waterfront a couple weeks ago and realized how perfectly content I would be if I never left this town. How many good memories and happy emotions I feel towards the town I was born and raised in, and just how beautiful island living really is ❤ Here’s a few shots from my walk =)
Things I Love About Nanaimo, BC
1. The salty ocean air & clear blue skies
2. The fact that we once had a pirate as our town mayor (or, close enough!)
3. The cobbled streets & heritage buildings of downtown
4. The bathtub races
5. The laid back small town feel, but with all the amenities of a city
6. The fact that it’s on Vancouver Island – and that I can go from Mt. Washington’s snowy peeks to Tofino’s sprawling beaches and surf in a day.
7. The town history ❤
8. The nickname “The Hub, Tub, & Pub City”
9. Nanaimo Bars (dessert) . Gosh these are good. If you havn’t had one – you need to!
10. The harbor.
11. Having the biggest shopping mall on the island (I do love to shop)
12. The railroad tracks, and hearing the train running through town
13. The amazing amount of trails, parks and picture perfect locations to walk, hike, picnic, and enjoy life.
14. Our town welcome sign
15. Never being more than a few minutes from a spectacular ocean view
16. Watching the sun rise and set over the water
17. The waterfront
18. Eating fresh seafood down on the docks
19. Seeing the wales swim past
20. Taking the BC ferries to the mainland & the feeling I get coming back home to such a beautiful and inspiring place ❤